Home » News » A Dalit Medical Student attempts suicide
A Dalit Medical Student attempts suicide
Caste Divides Medical Campus
Neeraj Kumar, 1st year student attempt suicide in premier Medical College of Lucknow (CSMMU). Dalit students allege caste bias.
Neeraj Kumar’s view: “I thought that my future is dark and so I decided to end my life. There were 18 students who failed with me in Physiology. I had heard that students were targeted due to their caste”.
Neeraj Kumar is lucky now he out of danger.
Faculty lobbying against Dalit due to bias, Prof D.K Gupta- Vice Chancellor of CSMMU totally denied the charge.
List of Dalit students committing suicide in India’s premier institutions:
· March -12: MBBS student at AIIMS kills himself in hostel room.
· Feb- 2011: IIT Roorkee student jumps of 5th floor of hostel.
· Nov- 2010: B-Tech student at IIT-K kills herself.
· March- 2010: MBBS student at AIIMS commits suicide.
· Jan- 2010- Student at Lucknow’s CSMMU commits suicide.
· Jan- 2009 : M-tech student at IIT-k kills himself
· Jan-2008: Chandigarh Govt. Medical College student commits suicide.