Cow slaughter, beef eating have been being brought up on regular basis by communal forces. This issue is used to browbeat the Muslim minorities in particular. Time and over again this issue in the form of inciting communal violence, inciting anti dalit killings, inciting the killing of someone in the trade of cow selling is targeted. The issue is now being used more often as a divisive communal agenda and the aim of this is very clear. It is a political tool in the hands of communal forces.
There are very rigorously researched papers proving that cow was consumed extensively in ancient Vedic period. In India, the consumption of beef is more than that of goat mutton or chicken. Many an Indian communities are eating beef. The latest law in M.P. is the worst in the line of the impositions by state. This law empowers the police to arrest any body suspected to be carrying, storing or eating beef.
This E Digest is a compilation of major essays, articles and interviews on the theme. The aim of this E Digest is to bring together all the amiable material on the topic.
- Cow and the Elusive Hindu Identity
- Commissar Sadhvi’s Cow Agenda
- The Dilemma of Cow Slaughter in India – Anshul Kumar Pandey
- Hindutva Politics and the holy Cow
- ‘Holy’ Cow and ‘Unholy’ Dalit
- Holy Cow! Who Moved My Meat – Divya Rajagopal
- Cow in Contemporary Political Chessboard
- Cow’s Urine as Medicine: Faith’s leap into blind alleys – Ram Puniyani
- Using the Cow – Javed Anand
- Tribute to the holy cow – Jawed Naqvi
- What a hypocrisy, Gau Mata! – A.J. Philip
- M.P.: Path way to Hindu Rashtra – Ram Puniyani
- Interview ‘A Political tool’ Interview with D.N. Jha