MANGALORE: The first session of National Jan Sansad, the people’s Parliament led by social activist Medha Patkar, will be held in New Delhi on March 19. Patkar, who was in Mangalore to participate in an interaction programme at Roshni Nilaya School of Social Work on Tuesday, said the members of Jan Sansad would attend the meeting in Delhi to discuss specific issues and later will meet Delhi-based activists and organizations.
“Casting votes once in five years do not make a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Our Jan Sansad will be constituted by more than 500 people’s representatives. 67 per cent of the members in Jan Sansad will represent marginalized people, from areas threatened by resource grabbing in the name of development. They will be ideally chosen through their gram sabhas, mohalla sabhas or by the community groups. Remaining 33 per cent will be ‘Jansahayogis’, consisting academicians, intellectuals, professionals, experts and others to be nominated by the movements and people’s groups struggling in those areas,” Patkar said.
Jan Sansad would stand against corporate imperialism, militarization, casteism and communalism. “We will oppose capitalists forces influencing policy makers and also polices made under the presser from vested interests,” she said adding that Jan Sansad will bring together movements, organizations, campaigns, concerned citizens, affected people to assert themselves on the issues of public interest.
“The attempt is also to create an ongoing people’s parliament, which will hold its sessions in different places in the country. It can become an alternative people’s political forum to bring the truly popular issues to the political agenda and challenge anti-people policies,” Patkar said.