MUMBAI, January 10th : National Alliance of People’s Movements – Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao Andolan has decided to form a People’s Commission of enquiry into the massive corruption and repression in projects of slum rehabilitation and re-development in Mumbai.
NAPM with its mass-based organisation has brought forth corruption in SRA in the form of fraudulent documents and fake house-sale in many cases.
It is our firm belief that it is because of such a flawed scheme like SRA, the truly equitable housing schemes through self-development projects are not being implemented. That is why Rajiv Gandhi Awas Yojana has not yet taken off!
We, 1200 persons, sat on hunger strike for nine days in May 2011 in Golibar- Mumbai and the State Government through Chief Minister and Chief Secretary gave written promise and notified two enquiry committees to investigate into SRA related complaints. However, with false reasons those were shelved and High Powered Committee was asked to investigate. Nothing has happened even after one and a half year. And when we declared a long march and indefinite action in the last week of December, the SRA forwarded those to HPC. Its now, in January, during our mass action that the CM has admitted an enquiry through the Principal Secretary, Housing with same modus operandi and a guarantee that if illegality/ irregularities are proved, action will be taken against the builder/s. We have accepted this.
However, in order to facilitate and for further investigation, it is necessary to have a People’s Commission that will hear the people and give its verdict. Their work will certainly not overlap with but compliment the official enquiry.
The People’s Commission will have
Justice (Retd) H Suresh as its Chairman
Shri Sudhakar Suradkar, former IG,
Shri Chandrashekar, architect
Smt. Amita Bhide, TISS
Shri. Simpreet Singh, social activist, as members.
Terms of Reference of the Commission
1. To investigate (in a participatory and transparent manner) into illegalities and irregularities in SRA and redevelopment schemes in Mumbai, beginning with a priority list.
2. To assess the documents and draw conclusions on the fraud and the resultant impact of the scheme, on the benefits and beneficiaries, loss to people, and loss to the state exchanger.
3. To estimate the magnitude of corruption and any officials, politicians, developers and others, responsible for the same.
4. To suggest and plan action against the accused, identified through investigation.
5. To identify the flaws and anti-poor clauses/provisions in the housing policy, laws and rules.
6. To suggest any alternative housing scheme/s and/or amend SRA Schemes
7. To recommend any change in the planning pattern, process and laws and rules related to housing for the urban poor and middle class people of Mumbai.
8. To publish and release a detailed report on the enquiry and take it to the communities as well as the Government authorities.
The Commission will complete an investigation, within one month through
1) conducting public hearing
2) analysing/inspecting documents
3) interviewing government officials and citizen’s groups, NGOs
4) photography, structural analysis etc. , and any other tools decided by the Commission.
The Commission’s expenses will be met through voluntary donations.
Report of the Commission will be submitted to the Government of Maharashtra and Government of India and will be released to the Civil Society and all slum communities in Mumbai.
Medha Patkar, Jamil bhai, Madhuri Shivkar, Madhuri Variyath, Sumit Wajale, Santosh Thorat, Sandeep Yevale, Kishor Kardak, Girija Bahen, Prabhakar Narkar, Shilpa Sabale, Kamlesh S S, Siraj, Umar bhai,
Organised by : Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao Andolan, Janta Jagruti Manch, Shahar Vikas Manch, Ramabai Ambedkar Nagar Bachao Samiti, Nagari Niwara Haq Samiti, Waghini Sangathan, SRA Sangharsh Samiti, Bruhanmumbai Niwara Samanvaya Samiti
Affiliates of National Alliance of Peoples’ Movements
Contact: Madhuri Shivkar 09892143242 | Madhuri Wariyath 09820619174 | Sumit Wajale 09967875999 | Sandeep Yevale 09819307419
Previous Press Releases on this campaign :