Mumbai, April, 8 : It’s the 5th day of indefinite fast by Medha Tai Patkar in Golibar Mumbai today. Madhuri Shivkar, a resident of Sion Koliwada and activists of Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao Andolan has also joined her on an indefinite fast from April 6th. Many of the basti people have also been joining them on kramik anshan / relay fast everyday. (Know the full history of the case, resistance and demands here.)Signs of weakness and deteriorating health like vomiting, body ache, back ache are now visible on Medha Tai’s health. Even then her spirits are high and constantly encouraging and tlaking to people who are coming there and meeting them.On 6th of April andolankaris in large numbers went to S.R.A. Office with black flags protesting against the insensitivity of the concerned authorities who have refused to take note of the agitation and talk to them. The protestors demanded a meeting with the authorities responsible for carrying on demolitions even when the investigation is on. Demanding joint meeting with Shri Devashish Chakravarty, Principal Secretary (Housing); M.C.G.M Commissioner, Joint Commissioner Of Police (Law and Order), S.R.A. (C.E.O), MHADA (C.E.O) and Collector, Additional Collectors but even after waiting till 7 pm, no response was recieved. Lower level officials on duty said that S.R.A. C.E.O was away at Mantralaya and hence could not arrange for any meeting and same was the reasons given by the present Police officials on duty. Later in evening a mashal juloos was undertaken by the basti dwellers. Slogans of protest against these gross atrocities of the builders and Government’s indifference floated in the air and generated interest in the neighboring areas. Demands of the Andolan are Following :
- The enquiry in respect of 6 S.R.A. Projects, under the chairmanship of Principal secretary, Housing, is in progress since 13th January, 2013. We demand that the work in all these projects should be stopped untill the report of the enquiry is completed and actions taken on the recommendations.
- If demolitions are being carried out in accordnace with court rulings but the preconditions put forth are not met, main issues and allegations of corruption through forgery, fraudulent consent are not resolved etc., then in such cases project work should be stopped and no further demolitions be carried.
- In cases where the residents have submitted self development projects or wish to submit the same, they should be sanctioned and encourgaed and started immediately.
- S.R.A. Should ensure that in case of ongoing S.R.A. Projects all conditions in L.O.I. should be complied with.
- The L.O.I. of the developer should be withdrawn wherever the developers have submitted forged / false documents or wrong information in violation of the L.O.I – as in case of Shivalik builders.
- The Chief Minister of Maharashtra has agreed to implement ‘Rajeev Awas Yojana’ in the slums of Mumbai instead of S.R.A., on 2nd January, 2013. However these very slums are being buldozed even today. So, the displacement of these slums should be stopped till R.A.Y. is implemented. The same was conveyed to the State Government by the Union Minister Ajay maken on April 2, 2013.
- Pilot projects in respect of slum at Mandala, Mankhurd under the R.A.Y. Have already been submiited to the state as well as Central Governments. That should be approved and implemented at the earliest.
- Civic amenities (like water, toilets, nallahs, roads ) should be provided to all the slums immediately as per the written assurance given by the Municipal Commissioner.
- The Chief Secretary had given a written assurance on 25th May, 2011 that 19 bastis as agreed in the list, after 9 day fast by Medha Patkar, will be decalred slums within 3 months. There is no action on this assurance till date. The same should be done. The Chief Minister, and the Principal Secretary, Ministry of Housing had premised again in January, 2013 to complete this action during discussions held with them. They also gave a written assurance to that effect. The displacements that are being carried out at present are, therefore, grossly unjust and hence should be stopped forthwith.
- Shri Ajay Maken, Minister for Housing and Urban poverty alleviation, Government of India has written a letter to the Chief Minister, Maharashtra state on 2nd April, 2013. The Chief Minister should declare his stand on the letter in writing.
- The land of Sathe Nagar should be given for R.A.Y. . This land is currently under the hold of Bombay Soap company.
Ajit Gavkhedkar Prerna Gaikwad Anweri Behen Santhosh ThoratJamilBhai Sangeeta Salwe Sandeep Yeole Madhuri ShivkarContact : 9892727063 | 9818905316 | email@example.com